Access Statement for Boswell House Hotel, Chelmsford, Essex
The Boswell House is a 19th Century town house converted to an hotel in 1980. The hotel is NON SMOKING throughout and offers high standards of accommodation and service in pleasant and informal surroundings. All 12 bedrooms have bath and/or shower en suite, Free wi-fi, television, direct dial telephone, radio, hairdryer and hospitality tray.
GROUND FLOOR bedrooms are available.
The Boswell House Hotel is fully compliant with the latest Fire Regulations and all rooms have smoke detectors fitted.
The hotel has a large car park and is within easy walking distance of the Railway station, City centre and Essex Records Office.
You may contact The Boswell House Hotel by Telephone or e mail.
Room information, Tariff and our Access Statement can be found on our website www.boswellhousehotel.co.uk .
Large print information is available on request.
The Boswell House Hotel is less than 1 mile from the Bus and Railway Station, a level walk taking approximately 10-15 minutes.
A taxi rank can be found to the rear of Chelmsford Railway Station.
Buses from the Railway/Bus station stop in Springfield Road opposite the hotel. Buses for the town centre and railway station stop at the bus stop at our car park entrance.
Please inform us when making your reservation if you are intending a late arrival (after 22.30hrs) or an early departure (before 07.00hrs).
Rooms are available from 14.00 hrs and vacated by 11.00hrs.
Please let us know if you have any specific mobility, dietary or allergy requirements.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• The Boswell House Hotel has a good sized level tarmac car park with ample space for up to 13 cars. It is not normally necessary to reserve a space. However, if you wish to reserve a space close to the main entrance please let us know in advance.
• The Car Park is automatically lit during the hours of darkness and can be overlooked from 8 rooms.
Main Entrance, Reception
• There is one 4” (10cm) step into the Main Entrance. The step also has an adjacent handrail 32” (80cms) high.
• The Front Door is unlocked throughout the day until 23.00hrs. In the event of late arrival a front door bell is situated to the right of the main entrance at a height of 55” (140cm).
• The main front door opens outwards and is 30” (76cm) wide but can be opened to 60”(152cm) if required.
• The reception area [ desk 40” (102cm) high]is well lit and has seating available.
• All guests must fill out a registration form on arrival and will be shown to their accommodation. We are available to offer assistance with luggage if required.
Public Areas - Stairs, Corridors
• All corridors are level and carpeted with requisite fire doors fitted.
• The stairs from Reception and the Restaurant are well lit with a handrail. There are 16 stairs [ 10” (26cm) Deep/ 8” (20cm) High / 36” (90cm) Wide ]. Stairs are carpeted with visible edging.
• The carpeted corridor leading off Reception to the Restaurant and Bar is 36” (91cm) wide with a Fire door 28” (71cm) at each end.
• The Restaurant, Lounge Bar, Public WCs and 4 bedrooms are all situated on the Ground Floor.
• Situated off the Ground Floor corridor the unisex WCs contain 2 Single cubicles 55” (140cm) x 32” (81cm) with outward opening doors. There is a hand basin at 32” (80cm) height.
• Our Restaurant is situated on the Ground floor and is accessed by the corridor from Reception. Fire doors lead onto the car park.
• Non smoking.
• The restaurant is lit by 4 main lights and natural light.
• Carpeted level floor.
• Soft background music.
• A variety of moveable tables and chairs. The average table height is 29” (74cm). 1 high back chair with arms is available. A child's high chair and cutlery are also available.
• A Large handwritten menu which is changed daily and wine list are on blackboards in the Lounge Bar, where your dinner order will be taken. Children’s and smaller portions are available.
• A large print breakfast menu is available on request.
• All dietary requirements can be catered for by prior arrangement.
Breakfast is served from 07.30 hrs to 09.00 hrs (weekdays) and 08.00 hrs to 09.30 hrs (weekends and bank holidays).
Dinner is served from 19.00 hrs to 20.30 hrs.
• A comfortable well lit lounge bar. The Bar counter is 41” (104 cm) high.
• Level carpeted floor.
• Variety of seating.... 3 piece suite [18 (46 cm) seat height] with low tables [13"(33cm) high]. Leather Tub Chairs and 2 Seater Sofa [ 15" (37cm) seat height ] High back bar stools [29" (74cm) seat height].
• Flatscreen TV
• Soft background music (if appropriate).
• There is a wide selection of books and games available for guests to use.
• There are 4 bedrooms on the ground floor (2 Single and 2 Doubles) and 8 on the first floor (1 Single,5 Doubles and 2 Twin/Family). All rooms have central heating controlled by thermostatic radiator valves.
Ground Floor Bedrooms
• ROOM 2 : Assessed as Mobility 1 by Visit Britain
Double / Twin room with en suite bathroom... Situated off reception at the front of the Hotel. Double glazed. Non Smoking.
Door opening 28” (72cm)wide.
• Furnished with 2 x Single beds ( Zip and Link) [ 36" (90cm) wide / 74" (190 cm) length / 24" (60 cm) high. Desk/table [24” (60cm) leg room]. Bedside Chest [26” (66cm) high].Wardrobe [ 64” (163cm) rail height].Clothes rail [48” (122cm) rail height] Chest of drawers [40” (102cm) high].Mirrored dressing chest[32” (81cm) high].Firm upright arm chair [19” (48cm) seat height].2 easy chairs [14” (36cm) seat height]. 4 free standing lamps. Trouser press, kettle. Tea / coffee tray. Fridge. Hairdryer. Large button Telephone. Alarm clock radio. Flat screen TV / DVD.
• En suite: Door opening 30” (76cm) wide.
• Well lit with extractor fan. Non slip vinyl flooring. Non slip bath with lever taps [ 20” (50cm) step into bath.] Vertical and Horizontal non slip grab rails. Over bath shower with adjustable height [ 54” (137cm) - 74” (188cm)].WC [16” (42cm) height] with riser seat available if required. Contrasting wooden Toilet Seat. Support rail [ 36" ( 90cm) height ]. Basin with lever taps [30” (89cm) high] Stool [19” (48cm)high].Shaver light and Mirror. Low level shaving mirror [45”(115cm) high].Non slip bath step stool [11” (28cm)] with rail [43” (110cm) high]. Adjustable bath seat [10” (25cm) high].Retractable washing line over bath [64” (163cm) high].Cotton wool, Tissues and Toiletries.
• ROOM 3: Single room with en suite shower. Double glazed.
Non smoking. Door opening 28” (72cm)
• Furnished with 1 single bed [36” (91cm) wide / 20” (52cm) height]. Mirrored wardrobe [ 66” (168cm) rail height] Chest of drawers [34” (87cm) high]. Desk / table [21” (54cm) leg room]. Bedside chest [26” (66cm) high].Easy chair [14” (36cm) seat height] Alarm clock radio. Reading light. Hairdryer. Flat screen TV with text facility. Telephone
• En Suite: Door outward opening 27” (70cm) wide.
• Well lit with extractor fan. Non slip shower enclosure.[Step 10” (25cm) Opening 17” (44cm)] Basin with shaver light [30” (80cm)high]. WC [16” (42cm) height]. Cotton wool, Tissues and Toiletries.
• ROOM 4: Double room with en suite shower. Double glazed. Non smoking. Door opening 28” (72cm)
• Furnished with 1 Double bed [4' 6” (142 cm) wide / 20” (52 cm) high]. Desk [22” (56 cm) leg room] . Chest of drawers [30” (76 cm) high .Wardrobe [64” (163 cm) rail height].2 Bedside chests [26” (66cm) high].Easy chair [14” (36cm) seat height].Alarm clock radio, hairdryer. Flat screen TV with text available, Reading lights, Telephone.
• En suite: Door outward opening 27” (70cm) wide.
• Well lit with extractor fan .Non slip shower enclosure [step 13” (32cm) Opening 17” (44cm)]. Basin with shaver light [30” (80cm) high]. WC [16” (42cm) height]. Cotton wool, Tissues and Toiletries.
• ROOM 5: Single room with en suite shower. Non Smoking. Door opening 28” (72cm)
• Furnished with 1 single bed [36” (91cm) wide / 20” (52cm) height]. Bedside chest [26” (66cm) high]. Wardrobe [70” (178cm) rail height. Desk with Drawers [24” (61cm) leg room]. Easy chair [14” (36cm) seat height] Alarm clock radio. Reading light. Hairdryer. Flat screen TV with text facility . Telephone
• En suite: Door outward opening 27” (70cm) wide
• Well lit with extractor fan. Non slip shower enclosure [step10” (25cm) Opening 17”(44cm)].Basin with Shaver light [30” (80cm) high]. WC [16” (42cm) height]. Cotton wool, Tissues and Toiletries.
• A laundry service is available if required.
• An iron and ironing board are available for guests. This is situated on the first floor. Please ask at reception for assistance.
There is a public launderette situated on the Rivermead University Campus which is 10 minutes level walk from the hotel.
• A local Tesco store with Pharmacy is 5 minutes level walk from the Hotel.
• The main pedestrianised City Centre is 10 minutes level walk from the hotel.
• The Riverside Ice and Leisure Centre is 5 minutes level walk from the Hotel. Full details of facilities are available at Reception.
• There is a large picnic table in the Car Park for guests’ use. This is the designated smoking area.
• Families welcome.
• Service dogs are permitted into the hotel by prior arrangement.
• Fire evacuation notices are on the back of every bedroom door. The main assembly point is the Car Park at the front of the hotel. If the alarm sounds please follow exit signs and leave by a safe route. If you are likely to require assistance please hang the emergency card outside your room and notify reception on your arrival.
• A vibrating alarm is available from reception.
• Each room has a folder containing Guest Information. A large print version is available from Reception.
• A fridge for guests’ use is situated at the top of the stairs from Reception.
• Complimentary wi-fi available throughout the hotel.
The Boswell House Hotel is open 7 days per week.50 weeks per year (Closed for 2 weeks over Christmas period).
Emergency numbers: A list of Emergency contact numbers can be found on the notice board in Reception.
Local public transport numbers: Local public transport numbers and timetables are kept at Reception. Please ask for assistance.
Local accessible taxi numbers: A full list of local taxi companies is kept in Reception. Please ask for assistance.
• There are no plans for major alterations to the hotel.
• A rolling maintenance programme is in place throughout the hotel.
The Boswell House Hotel
118/120 Springfield Road Chelmsford Essex CM2 6LF
Telephone: 01245 287587
Grid reference: 571445 206915
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve. If you have any comments please telephone or email us.
Updated: 13 February 2016